Friday, May 18, 2007

Fuzzy Magic

I have been asked to give a demonstration of Spinning Dog Fur at Camp this year and I have managed to collect undercoat fluff from 5 or 6 breeds other than Newfs to use as samples. Thank you again to the Spin-List/Spin-Sales folks who volunteered the samples. I have been having a ball working my way thru them.

Dog fur is a lot like angora... lots of halo, very fluffy and so fine that it is a little fragile. Alone it needs to be spun so fine and tight that you end up taking alot of the silkiness and softness away. I have found that if it is blended with something else, it makes a much superior yarn. I typically blend it on my hand cards at a ratio of about 50/50. Most often I like a soft, crimpy lamb's wool, but alpaca and silk make a good pairing as well. This is Sheltie mixed with some fawn Corriedale lamb fleece I had in my stash. I think it turned out pretty well... if I do say so myself. It's a 2-ply DK weight.



The next breed I have chosen to work with is Samoyed which I blended with some white alpaca roving... It is like spinning clouds. It is so fine and fluffy that it ended up in my nose and mouth and EVERYWHERE in the family room.



Here it is on the wheel... I was aiming for something that would end up as a sport weight 2 ply, but it's probably going to end up more like fingering weight unless I make it a 3 ply. One of these days I will be more in command of how thick I spin. In any case, I think it will make a really nice lacy scarf...



I am hoping to get it plied and ready to knit this weekend. I'll post more when I do.

No comments: